Right Way in a Day
Basic Navigation Courses in the Peak District
A one day Right Way in a Day course based in the Derbyshire Peak District and designed for hillwalkers wanting to learn the key skills to navigate away from main paths. A day with us in the heart of the Peak moorland will provide a 'toolbox' of essential techniques delivered in a progressive, practical and fun way. By the end of the day participants will feel confident enough to head for less travelled areas and leave the beaten path behind.
Areas covered include;
- Understanding the map as a two-dimensional plan.
- Using map symbols and scales.
- Orientating maps with and without a compass.
- Using the orientated map to identify land features and indicate direction of travel.
- Choosing simple navigation strategies and routes.
- Using linear features (e.g. paths and tracks) as handrails.
- Estimating distance both on maps and on the ground
- Understanding contours to match landforms to their map representation.
- Planning safe and suitable walks.
- Relocating using simple techniques